Service Set Up & Disruption

The City of Coppell uses an online form to set up new residential utility accounts. Please review the Service Agreement (PDF). Please note, all credit and debit card payments made to the City of Coppell are subject to a non-refundable processing fee of 2.95% with a $2 minimum. The City accepts Visa, Mastercard, and Discover card types.

Contact the Utility Billing department to transfer or cancel service. Rental properties must be registered and inspected prior to a new tenant moving in and setting up a utility account. Visit Building Inspections for fees and scheduling.

Commercial Customers

Commercial customers will not be able to utilize the online form. Please complete both the Commercial Service Application (PDF) and the Service Agreement (PDF). Signed documents can be emailed to the Utility Billing Department or faxed to 972-304-7091.

Service Disruption

If your water service has been suddenly interrupted and you do not know the cause, please call the Utility Billing department at 972-304-3695. When water service has been discontinued for non-payment of a bill, the full amount of the bill plus a $20 reconnection fee must be paid before service is reinstated. Customers should contact the Utility Operations department to report water leaks, sewer back-ups, or water quality problems at 972-462-5150.